Wednesday, June 22, 2011

NBA Draft Lottery 2011

With the Dallas Mavericks becoming the 2010/2011 NBA Champs, we've moved into the off-season and the draft is upon us.  First, I'll start by saying a big "THANK GOODNESS" that Miami did not win the title.  I used to be a LeBron fan when he was in Cleveland.  It's not so much that he left the Cavs, but HOW he did it and how the "big 3" acted when they signed their contracts.  In my opinion, all the extra hype came off as being pretty douchey.  Now then, let's get to the matter at hand- the draft.

How ironic is it that the Cavaliers have the 1st and 4th pick for the first draft right after Bron Bron's departure?  Yes, I know- "the first pick really belonged to the Clippers, but it's Cleveland's because of a trade".  Yeah, nice cover, NBA brass.  Fix the lottery to help them out, but try to make it look like it's not fixed.  We know the deal and the NBA is probably the shadiest professional league there is in the US.  I'm not going to hate on the Cavs getting some help though. (insert anti-LeBron message here).  Here's my take on the draft- WEAK.

The GMs across the league swear that this draft class is deep.  I'm not buying it.  Did the actually watch the NCAAs this year?  It was apparent to me, with the exception of Derrick Williams from University of Arizona, that it's a very heavy guard draft.  Granted, I'll admit that I don't know much, if anything at all about the international players.  Sorry- I work a lot and am not a scout, so I don't travel oversees to give my opinion to any NBA teams (I would accept a job doing that, however).

From what all the drafts are saying, Kyrie Irving (Duke) is going as the #1 pick and is the "sure-fire standout".  I'm not sold on him honestly.  In fact, I'm generally not sold on Duke players making the jump to the NBA.  While there have been some very solid players over the NBA's history, there's just really been no absolute superstar.  Duke is a very system-based organization.  That's nothing against Coach K, but it's just the way it is.  I feel the same way about Indiana University.  For me, I'm just not sold.

The mock drafts then have Derrick Williams going to Minnesota at #2.  While not a bad choice, is it really what the T-Wolves need?  Not really.  In my opinion, they need a whole new front office, a new owner, and they need to move somewhere else so people can forget the debacle of a franchise they've been.  There are rumors about that they're going to trade Kevin Love.  Seriously?  That's the only thing they have going for them, although Rick Rubio finally decided to come over to the US after his stats have dropped in the Euro league over the last 2 seasons.

The only people that jump out to me are Kemba Walker (UConn) and Jimmer Fredette (BYU).  Kemba has this "it" factor about him that he just doesn't want to lose.  If he drops to #6, the Wizards (my fave team, but PLEASE go back to being the Bullets) need to go on and pick him up even though they really don't need another guard.  Right now, supposedly they're taking Jan Vessely, a big boy from the Czech Republic.  Yeah they need size, but from what I hear, Mr. Vessely is missing a lot in his game.  I don't see Jimmer as being the next superstar.  He's a pure shooter, but I'm getting Adam Morrison feelings with that.  However, if he's available at #6, I can see Washington picking him up just in an attempt to continue to clean up their image.  Thanks, Gilbert Arenas- Mr. Agent 0.  Yeah you had talent, just nothing between the ears.  Whatever.  We've moved on.  I think John Wall and Kemba Walker could be an exciting, albeit small, backcourt.

That's about as deep as I see the draft going as far as stand-out potential.  I'm guessing I'll be wrong.  In fact, I'm hoping for the NBA's sake that I am.  It's gotten so watered-down it's ridiculous.  With that said, I'll sign off for now, but with one parting sentiment:

Congrats to Rory McIlroy for his win at Congressional.  Keep being you.  That's why everyone likes you- you're not arrogant like a certain other golfer that used to be at the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment